How do we live?

when i die

let my name live

let my lines fly beyond eons.

let me be remembered.

 

when i die,

pass me across ages

tell them how i lived,

how i hugged pains alone in my chambers,

how i prayed for the return of akanni,

how i birthed words,

how art held me.

 

when i die

let me be known for something

whether for poetry or christology,

let my life not be in vain. 

 

when i die

take no pain

take the gain in my tracks

and raise another of me.

 

when i die.

let my lines pass eons

like achebe, like asakel

let my poetry grow in your hearts.

  

 

 


Comments

SAM DE POET said…
The part about Achebe and Asakel spoke to me. This is lovely poetry.
Unknown said…
Where did Akanni go?
Olubunmi Fatoba said…
In this context, Akanni is a figurative description of the persona yearnings.

Popular posts from this blog

For Poetry

How do we live here?

The Trail Trails